Friday, October 29, 2010

Horses- Part 2

We didn’t give up trying, but we also didn’t find Peanut much fun, which was suppose to be the point of getting her in the first place, and we were pretty certain that the sentiment was mutual. I think we were too young to realize how lonely Peanut must have been, (chickens don’t count as companions) until we brought an Arabian gelding home. Peanut and Chariba loved each other madly at first sight. She was nickering for him before he even got out of the trailer.

Peanut was easy to ride after that, because she couldn’t stand to be without Chariba, and then, we had a blast! We spent hours riding those horses down back country roads; my sister gliding along at a smooth 35 miles an hour, and me bouncing along at what felt like 10 miles an hour. Somehow, though, we always ended up at the same place at the same time.

Peanut did seem to enjoy these rides as much as any of us, but when she got hungry, she wanted to go home, and preferably riderless. I quickly learned to ride not only bare-backed, but also one legged, because Peanut had a propensity for running as close to mailboxes as she could, trying to wipe me off. I also learned that when we got into the yard, I’d better lay down and wrap both feet around her butt, because when she saw the gate, she’d run full tilt to within three inches of it, then stop dead in her tracks, hoping I’d go flying over her head. She was a brat, but she was fun.

Halloween Story On Halloween

This is the last of the “Horses” series. I thought you might get a kick out of reading how Ding Bat and I went as Icabod Crane and the Headless Horseman, when our grandmother had sort of, kind of expressly forbidden us to go. At the time, we thought she was being unreasonable, but now that I’m an adult, her reasoning doesn’t seem quite so quacky.

No comments:

Post a Comment