Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cat Stories


Mr. Kitty’s Trip Part 2

“Well,” Dr. Bellville said, “Given the fact that he isn’t really moving and your sister didn’t see what happened, I’m wondering if maybe he also fell and broke something. Maybe I’d better take some x-rays to see if Chloe did him some internal damage. How much are you looking to spend?”

I opened the storage compartment of the carrier to see how much my sister thought Mr. Kitty was worth. “It looks like you can go up to $300.”

He scooped up my cat and walked out the door, but brought him back in two minutes. “You said nobody saw this fight? Are you sure there was a fight?”

I hadn’t been expecting that question. “N…ooo, nobody saw the fight, but my sister sure heard it. Why? What’s up?” He said, “Your cat’s full of birdshot; I can feel it under his skin. Whoever did it must have been standing right in front of him.”

 He lifted Mr. Kitty’s face for me to see. “See that mark on his nose and the brown on the white part of his eye?  A shot went in there, and lodged behind his eye. The brown is blood that’s escaped into the cavity.” I ran my hand over Mr. Kitty’s skin, and could indeed feel little hard lumps all over him.
         
“I think he’ll be ok,” he said. “I’ll give you some antibiotics and pain pills and we’ll see how he does.”

“What about his eye?” I asked. “Do you think he’ll be able to see?”

 “Yes I do. It’s just a blood vessel that’s been broken back there. The eye itself is ok.” 
         
As my sister worked all day, Mr. Kitty came home with me and spent the next three days behind my couch, coming out only for the essentials. If I wasn’t quick, I’d have to drag him out to give him his pills. But he too soon got tired of my place, and spent the fourth morning loudly requesting to go home. I told him, “You know, if you go home, you’re going to have to face Chloe, and she probably hasn’t forgiven you yet for going into her bedroom.” He climbed up in my lap, looked me dead in the face, and said, “NOW!!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment