Tuesday, November 9, 2010

How I Learned To Do Chair Massages Part 2

The Mesick Mushroom Festival

 My first event was the Mesick Mushroom Festival, which was roughly two hours straight west from my home. Figuring about $40 for gas, plus the $50 vendor’s fee and my food for three days, I’d have to make a hundred dollars just to break even.  Jerry said I’d be smart to arrive the day before the festival opened to the public so I’d have plenty of time to set up and get to know people.

It was kind of a thrill to pull up to this huge field filled with RV’s and tents, and find a gate that only those with a vendors pass could go through. I know it’s silly, but being able to go through that gate and being lead to my spot by a “Fair Official” in a golf cart, made me feel kind of special. Granted, I had paid a whole lot more for that privilege than Joe Public paid to get in, but Joe Public wouldn’t be getting a personal tour to show him where the trashcans, the porta-potties and the water spickets were located.

Right next to my lot, Ray and his wife Scotty sold very tacky looking lawn ornaments of Big Bird and Mickey Mouse and such for $2 to $5 a piece.  Right across from me, Jena was hanging very elegant and expensive home decorations on a frame, but all three of them dropped their preparations to help me put up the tent, which was a good thing, because I had no clue how to do it.

They told me where to find a campground that had public showers, and I was more than willing to pay $12 over the next three days so I could have a nightly shower. They also told me where the best restaurants were, and how to take the short cut to the gas station if I wanted hot coco before the fair food vendors opened up for breakfast at 8 in the morning. 

My Name Is Henry” Starts In Two Days

No comments:

Post a Comment