Friday, November 26, 2010

Apologies


It’s been more than a week since I’ve posted anything on the “Chair Massage” series. I do have more posts written, but they are not really ready to send. I could give you all sorts of excuses if you’d like, starting with the obvious ones; I don’t feel like it, and it’s Thanksgiving week. That and I got stuck reading Harry Potter. See, really, that last one is my family’s fault; they demanded that I go see the last Harry Potter movie, and a lot of it doesn’t make sense if you haven’t read the book first, and the seventh book doesn’t make sense unless you’ve read the first six. So see? I had to take a week off.

I can get through one book in two days if I stay up until 6 in the morning, flipping back and forth in my bed reading it. Then, of course, I end up with a back ache. Just finished  “Order of the Phoenix” and still have two books left to read before I’m caught up. Am still sad about Sirius. And apparently, the name “Sirius” has been programmed into my Spell-check, as there was no red squiggly line underneath when I typed it. Cool, eh? Here’s the strange thing; Dumbledore and Hermione and Hogwarts are also in Spell-check, but Voldemort and Hagrid  are not. Strange.

Spectacular special effects on the movie, of course; it wouldn’t be a Harry Potter film without those. But truthfully, the magic and flying motorcycles and such are kind of the whipped cream on the cake; it’s cool, but not really why I read and watch the series. I think what most attracts me is the family and friendship relationships between Harry and the Weasleys and Hermione, Sirius and Remus. I’m envious of Molly Weasley’s position of head female in the middle of all those men. I’d love to be the one who took care of all of them, especially if I could just swish and flick, and have the dishes and housework do themselves.  

I want to stick those twins in my pocket and take them out whenever I need cheering up. I’d love to have Hagrid show me his animal friends and let me ride Buckbeak. And truth to tell, I wouldn’t mind marrying Remus Lupen ; even with the werewolf factor. Yes, I know, none of these people actually exist; in fact, I’ve seen several of them in other movies. I guess I just envy those who have a large circle of friends and family to look out for them and enjoy their company. I want to sit around a big table with a whole bunch of people who love and value me and just have fun with them.

Yes I know, relationships are never entirely made of pie and laughter. But the more people who are in the inner circles of your life, the more your horizons expand and the more interesting your life becomes. It also means there are more people for you to take care of, and more to take care of you. 

Yes, reading books and other blogs and newspapers and such do expand your knowledge, but they can’t replace the warmth of real people, and especially a gaggle of people, all interacting with each other. In fact, I’d like to hear your thoughts on this; either about friend dynamics or even just what you thought of the movie and/or the book. Do me a favor and pop a comment on this; maybe we can get a really cool discussion going.

Okay, I guess I’m done philosophizing, and will try to get back to where I started; with finishing the “Chair Massage” series. I won’t guarantee it will get done this weekend, but will do my best. By the way, I got a little off subject while trying to finish the series, (have you noticed I tend to do that sometimes?) and ended up with a three page story from Air Force days that might creep some people out, so you might want to have somebody else read it first. It’s a funny story; or at least, it is now, twenty five years later. I wasn’t laughing terribly hard at the time.

Oh, and here’s a heads-up; on the 3rd of December, I’m doing a stand-up comedy routine at a local restaurant, so that will probably be the next thing I write about.
Happy Blogging

No comments:

Post a Comment