Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Stand-Up Comedy Part 3


Don’t Gong ‘Til They’re Done

The Gong Show was part of a kid oriented community event I was involved with, so I had been on committee with the lady who had organized and would be in charge of the Gong Show. I told Gertrud (not her real name) that I wanted to do a comedy act for the show, and it seemed to put her nose out of joint. That seemed a little strange to me, because she never acted as though she didn’t like me; she always said hi and chatted with me at the meetings, so I just sort of chalked it up to her having a bad day, or the stress of so many commitments catching up with her.

I kind of knew the 16 year old girl, Amy, who was in charge of the gong, and her instruction from Gertrud was to wait until the act was pretty much done, and then gong. Since everybody except me was doing either karaoke or dancing to music, it was easy for her to tell when the act was done. But she had no way of telling when I was done, and if she gonged too soon, nobody would hear the punch line. So I told her she had to wait until she heard the term, “Ankle Biter,” wait about three seconds, and then she could gong me. She smiled and gave me a thumbs-up sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment