Saturday, April 30, 2011

Judging From the Paint Job…


It’s always been fun for me to try to judge the personalities of people by the way they decorate their houses. What does it say about my own personality that I’m attracted to people who like a mixture of bright colors, eclectic styles and lots of patterns?

I have a decorating-for-under-$50 book, and one woman (gotta be female) painted her kitchen with a base coat of yellow and a top coat “ragged on” in bright red. She painted the window frames a really cool, funky purple and hung up fifties style red curtains, and the cabinet fronts are painted cool, funky green. Talk about eclectic! And I love it; makes me happy just looking at it. If I ever manage to buy my dream retirement trailer, I’m going to paint it the exact same colors, including the purple window frames.

I’d be willing to bet a lot of chocolate she would be a fun woman to be friends with. Probably has been parachuting and likes to spend whole days at the beach and shares pizza with her dogs. Maybe she’s a writer, too, or better yet, a blogger. (grin) Since she’s only spending $50 to do her kitchen, I’m assuming she doesn’t make much money, which suggests she’s really creative.

Another woman in the book, however, did her whole living room, except for the tan carpet, entirely in white. Even most of the books were white. I’m guessing she’s one of those really fussy, disapproving people who are hard to get along with. I don’t even like to look at the picture.

Then there are those who use baby barf green and diarrhea yellow, and they always somehow strike me as being insecure. A couple of the living rooms in the book were painted in really dark blue, or dark red, and they made me feel depressed. Couldn’t help feeling that the person who would want their living space painted that color must be chemically depressed, and wanted their surroundings to match their mood.

 I could, of course, be entirely wrong about all this. The people who paint in white or dark red or puke green could be just as fun and charming and secure and happy as I’m judging the yellow and red lady to be, and simply have different tastes in color than I do. Though I will admit, if you invite me into your home and have one of those colors, you’re probably going to have to work extra hard to convince me that my perception of you is wrong. Here’s a hint; feeding me chocolate chip cookies or cheesecake and letting me play with your bulldog would go a LOOOONG way in convincing me you are a fun and sweet person, in spite of your color choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment