Wednesday, September 29, 2010

How I got Into Trigger Point Therapy- Part 1


Treating Sue- Part 1

When I was in massage therapy school, and far enough along to be able to do a decent massage, a secretary named Sue asked me to work on her hands because they were so painful, she was worried about losing her only means on making a living. She’d had carpel tunnel surgery four months before, but her pain was actually worse, something the surgeon had warned her could happen.

I rubbed and stretched and cross fractioned from her fingers tips to her shoulders and neck; I tried every trick my instructor had taught me up to that point, including heating pads and ice; even suggested she go buy a paraffin bath from Wal-Mart.

Her hands always felt much better after I got done working on her, until she went back to work. It took about two weeks of daily treatments before I realized that massage therapy wasn’t going to do it; something besides simple muscle tightness was making them hurt like that.
 
Along about then, I was in a book store looking through the medical self-help section, and the title, “The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook, The Proven Method for Over-Coming Soft Tissue Pain,” leaped out at me from the shelf. It tugged on my sleeve and said, “Hey Marly, here’s your help!”  

Our instructor had recently taught us a very crude and painful form of Trigger Point Therapy, but she said she never used it because it didn’t work. After I devoured the book several times, I knew why. So, I ordered a small wooden tool called a Knobble, a plastic Theracane with all sorts of neat knobs and rounded tips , and lots of balls in various sizes and degrees of hardness.

No comments:

Post a Comment